St. Anne’s park is Dublin’s second largest public park and is located in the Clontarf/Raheny area.
It began as the estate of members of the Guinness family beginning with Arthur and Benjamin Lee Guinness. An italian style estate house was built, which unfortunately was destroyed by fire and demolished in 1968.
Sir Arthur Edward Guinness and his wife Olive (Lord & Lady Ardilaun) developed the estate further after Lord Ardilaun inherited it in 1868, planting the beautiful Holm Oaks that line the main avenues and perimeters of the park. They however remained childless and the estate was passed onto Bishop Plunkett who eventually sold most of the estates parkland to Dublin Corporation.
The physic garden is located in the heart of the park in the old walled garden of the estate. The garden is adjacent to a herbaceous border; Chinese Suzhou garden and the park’s miniature rose garden and overlooked by the original estate clock tower.
For further information on the park please go to:
[Not a valid template]